Day in the Life is sponsored by OLG. Check them out on social @OLGToday or visit their website here.
Welcome to Port Perry! Today we are joining Marion Meyers and Melissa Rada from the Scugog Council for the Arts, for a tour around town. Follow along as they lead us to their favourite public art spots and show us the super events being hosted for the Ontario Culture Days festival.
Marion and Melissa started us off by introducing us to Scugog Arts Space located on Queen Street in Port Perry. They let us in on the history of their building, and how it has evolved to become a stand-out gallery and arts hub.
For the Ontario Culture Days festival, Scugog Arts is inviting participants to explore 10 of their beautifully painted Muskoka chairs. The chairs are part of Art You Can Sit On, an interactive public art installation. If you are in the area, see the chairs in person right outside the Scugog Art Space or learn about the inspiration behind each chair through their Chairspiration digital recordings.
Ontario Culture Days Programming:
- In Port Perry we are inviting you to explore some Art You Can Sit On. As part of the exhibition, 10 Muskoka chairs have been beautifully painted by local artists and are now on display at Scugog Arts. Learn what each artist through their Chairspiration digital recordings.
- Join Matthew Stevens from the Missisaugas of Scugog Island for a 4-part Indigenous Language Series. Learn the meaning behind common Indigenous words and how they have shaped language today.
- Follow along and learn how chef Tamara Green prepares items from only pre-contact ingredients using traditional Indigenous cooking methods and re-imagining them with modern cooking techniques. Tune in here.
- The Scugog Shores Fibre Artists’ Guild is hosting art shows at Scugog Arts throughout October. Take a look at some of their finished pieces, and watch live demonstrations on select Sundays throughout October. Learn more here.
- Tune in to the Theatre on the Ridge Big Theatre/Small Towns Podcast: Into the World of Professional Theatre. Join hosts Graeme Powell and Amanda Jane Smith as they chat with guests from all walks of the theatre community.
Explore the full list of events in Port Perry here.
Throughout the entire Ontario Culture Days festival, we’ll be dropping in on many different communities across the province. Hit the button below to check out the growing roster of these featured communities.